"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Monday, January 3, 2011

The Beginning of 2011

Happy New Year!!!!

My new year started off with a last minute decision to go to Bitola to celebrate.  I was waiting to hear what happens in Resen for the holiday and when I heard that most of the older people leave because the younger people take over the coffee shops I decided I would hit the road too.  I was not interested in celebrating with any of my students at the coffee shops, since I do not see that as professional and I am here to be their teacher and not a buddy.  There was a group of volunteers celebrating in Bitola and I decided to join the fun!!!

We all were at Lauren's place.  She has planned a shepard's pie for dinner.  Baba Chris is helping Lauren out by cooking up some onions.  I made some "amazing" (in quotes cause it came from the others) dip from sour cream, dried onions, parsley, pepper, and a little garlic powder.  The others were asking me where I got the recipe and I told them I just made it up.  That and I also made some "amazing" honey mustard for their chicken nuggets.  Again they asked what I did and I told them its all in the name, honey and mustard, lol.  Who would have thought.

After dinner 2 of the other groups celebrating in Bitola came over, there were some MAK 14s at Katie's house and there was a group of the older guys from MAK 13 and 14s at Phil's place.  They all came over to Lauren's and we continued to talk and celebrate until it was time to walk to the center to join the Macedonians.
 There were 4 of us from the Lozovo training group so we had to show our love to Lozovo.  So no the "L" does not stand for loser......it stands for Lozovo!!!

Some pictures from the celebration at Lauren's house.
Once it got closer to midnight, we all headed out to the center of town where there was a big celebration going on.  Kind of like a mini Time Square celebration in New York.
 As you can see the place was packed.  There were people everywhere.
 There was live music!!
And once it hit midnight.....out came the fireworks. Once the fireworks were over everyone cleared out of the center pretty fast, but the Americans stayed around to celebrate and dance to the live music.
 This was our first attempt at representing 2011.
But the second time and the basic way was the best.
The whole group in the center after the celebration, plus 2 Macedonians that wanted to take a picture with us.  It was a great way to celebrate the New Year with MAK 13, 14, and 15s (3 groups of volunteers).
The next morning when we walked out of Lauren's house, some of her neighbors were standing outside around the car.  They had woken up early and decided to start off the New Year with a feast.  Definitely not something you would find in the states.  Normally our pigs are found at the store and ready to cook, instead of on the hood of someones car.  But its culture and the only thing you can do is take a picture of it!!!  Hope this image helps to start your New Year off right!!!  lol

No comments:

Post a Comment