"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Friday, October 26, 2012

Apple Picking

I know it has been a while since I have posted, but before now there really was nothing to report.  My time here in Macedonia is coming to an end, and I have been trying to do things that I did not have time to do before....like apple picking.  Resen's main product is apples, there are trees everywhere and everyone has their own trees.  I was not able to help pick last year because it got cold very early.  So this year I was determined to pick an apple before I left.  We helped Irena's cousin, Tony, and his family at their orchard.  They have 800 trees and normally they can get about 1,000-2,000 boxes of apples a year.
 Irena picking apples.  If there are any spots or cuts on the apples you throw them on the ground. Later they come and collect those apples and they are bagged up and sold to make juice.
 Just getting started.
 Happy helper!!!
 Don't they look delicious?



The last picture of the day!!!  We filled up 63 boxes of apples.  And as a reward for our hard work Irena and I were both sent home with a box.  The family did not get the concept that I was going to be leaving a few days later.  They kept suggesting that I take them back to the United States with me.  I don't think Dulles customs would appreciate me trying to bring in about 10lbs of apples! 

No comments:

Post a Comment