"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Monday, May 21, 2012

Some R&R in Venice

A week ago, myself and two other PC Volunteers went to Venice for a few days.  There are cheap flights from Skopje to Venice so we decided to take full advantage. Venice is exactly as you see it in pictures, canals everywhere with boats and gondolas.
 This was just after we arrived.  Proof that I was in Venice, Italy standing on top of the Rialto Bridge looking out onto the canal.
 The Rialto Bridge.
 After walking though the maze of streets and alley ways, you enter into Saint Marco's Square.  At the end, you can see the Basilica.  In the evening, the restaurants and coffee shops have live bands playing and it a nice place to sit with a cup of coffee and relax.
 The Basilica, and as you can see there are tourists everywhere.
 Tourists playing with the pigeons.
 Gondolas and Carnival masks, the two things people think about when they hear the word Venice.  .

But when you hear the work Italy you think about . . .

 . . .THE FOOD!!!!  Even though Venice is not know for its Italian cooking,  I still enjoyed eating a lot of pizza and......

Gelato!!!

I know I have been writing mostly about my travels, but for the next few months that is what I will be mostly doing.  Since PC only gives us two days a month; and I did not travel a lot during my first year, I have many vacation days that I need to use up before I leave.  But don't worry, I am still working. School is starting to slow down, ever since the beginning of May the students have been acting like it is summer. GLOW  (Girls Leading Our world) camp is starting to pick up and has been taking up most of my time.  The camp, that I am one of the organizers for, is starting to come together and will be held at the beginning of July.  So for the next two months my time will be spent working on GLOW and traveling. 

1 comment: