"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Sunday, March 4, 2012

So Fresh and So Clean!

This past week, all of the MAK 15 group (my group of volunteers) met up in Skopje for our Mid-Service Conference. Yes, I know, we are definitely over our halfway point, but the Peace Corps staff needed some time to get ready once they got the MAK 16 group (the new group of volunteers) settled into their sites. This conference was originally planned for the beginning of February, but with the "lovely" weather we have been having, it had to be postponed.

During the conference, we had technical sessions (for the teachers: critical thinking, how to teach, writing a paragraph, etc) along with language lessons (I took only fun classes: travel, men's talk, and what do women talk about over coffee?). Two were taught by the language teacher I had in Lozovo, Despina. And my theory is if I don't have the language down by now, I am not going to; and then of course, there were Peace Corps mandated sessions (bystander intervention, and a little information about when we end our service).

Irena and the other counterparts came up and we overlapped on the last day. It was nice to be able to sum up what we have accomplished already (the English Library and the students new love of reading, classroom management, organization, etc) and also talk about what other idea's Irena had that she would like to do while I am still here (Reading Club, and doing a few small plays with the older kids).

Another part of our Mid-service is our one year check-up, both with the doctor and the dentist.  I was warned about this; but let's just say it was still very interesting, especially the dentalt part.  After living here over a year and seeing my students "rotting" their baby teeth right out of their mouths, I was curious to go to the dentist. The dentist that we go to is in Skopje; and according to the flag flying out front, they practice the "art" of dentistry.  It was a very nice and clean facility. It only had one room with two dental chairs.  They have all the new technology, computer screens with the dentist chairs, I even saw that they offer Invisaline instead of braces. The chairs do not recline back all the way, you more or less lean your head back. The dentist checked my teeth.....NO CAVITIES!!!  And then he "power washed" my teeth. Yes power washed.  No electric brushes, no toothpaste...just an electric water gun and what tasted like salt water. YUM!! Then I swished around some mouth wash and next thing I know I am walking out the door. In total, from the time I walked into the office from the time I finished my cleaning........10-15 minutes max. Then it was off to the Peace Corps office for my physical check-up, which is done by our Peace Corps doctors.....all good there....I passed!!!

Then I met up with a fellow volunteer and we grabbed lunch at where else....McDonald's (it's the perfect place to go once your teeth are all clean and the doctor says that you are healthy AND it puts a lump in your stomach for that 4+ hour bus ride back to Resen). See sometimes McDonald's is the right choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment