"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Friday, June 10, 2011

Off to the Lake

School is over and summer has officially begun.  Wednesday was the last day of school and there was no teaching.  All the kids and teachers were outside.  All the classes had their pictures taken; and the 8th graders had music playing and they were dancing. They were celebrating that they were finished with primary school and off to high school. That evening the 8th graders had their "matura" or graduation. It was in Stenje, a village by Prespa Lake.  Myself and some of the teachers went. We left Resen around 7:30 pm and did not get back until 2:30am.  It was a loooong night.  When we arrived, the 8th graders were already there; and the girls looked like they were dressed for prom.  They all had fancy dresses on, and heels so high that I would not even have been able to walk in them; their hair was done and made-up to the nines.  The boys on the other hand were wearing either dress shirts or t-shirts and jeans. There was a band and they played Macedonian music and everyone danced until the next morning. We also had dinner, typical meal.  First a salad and then, at the teacher's table, they brought out fish.  Snesha tried to show me how to eat it because they cook fish whole. They take the fish, flour them, and then fry them, head and all.  I have never liked fish; and I especially do not like eating meat on or with bones.  So I tried it, but I did not eat very much of my little fish. They later brought out the main meal that consisted of  two types of "steak," which is what they call it, but its a chicken breast and then what looks like a big hamburger patty.  And you can't forget the drinks!!!  Even though this was a school party/graduation, they still brought out the ouzo, cognac, and wine for the teachers along with soda and water. By the end of the night, the kids still had energy and the teachers were all exhausted.

I will not be able to post this weekend  because I will be gone. I am going to Ohrid for some R and R.  Next week we have our Language training in Struga, also located by the lake, so I will have alot to write about when I get back.  But for now here is a picture of me that was taken by another volunteer. Its by the Ohrid lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment